Friday, September 16, 2011

The Blame Game

I have been avoiding my own blog for a year and a half. Having convinced myself that my inability to ride my segway was somehow my own fault, I was embarrassed by my own bravado. I realize now that I am STILL blaming myself for MS progression. Never mind that it is an entirely random disease that effects everyone at different rates and with different symptoms. That's what it is for other people. For me, I am in control--or at least that is what I want to believe.

This is the "fear factor" at work that Wheelchair Kamikaze talks about. Keeping the fear at bay is something we all share in the MS community. Coping mechanisms are as diverse as individual symptoms...but denial can do more harm than good. Doesn't mean I have to love transitioning to a wheelchair. Just means I have to accept myself as I am TODAY and do the best I can TODAY. Isn't that what everyone does?

Sure I can still hope for a cure. But living well today is even more important and as Wheelchair Kamikazi says "living well is the best revenge, so live, my friends, live." Thanks Marc.

No comments:

Post a Comment