Saturday, September 12, 2009

#2 OMG, have I got a brain tumor?

Ok, ok, ok. After much harassing by one friend in particular (she know who she is), I fianlly agreed to go see a doctor for this "slight weakness" in my left leg. But the only doc I had was a gyn guy. So this was going to be a challenge. First I had to FIND a doctor to see, then the first thing I am seeing him for is to tell him my girlfriend thinks I limp when I've had too much to drink?! How silly does that sound!?

So when I was finally sitting in front of my new doc, telling her my left leg seemed a bit weak (while apologizing for taking up her time), you can imagine my surprise when she very seriously responded with physical tests--apparently to see if I was lying. [I guess there are folks out there that want to be sick]. On confirming that I was not lying, she settled in to a little talk that terrified me for the next 2 months and I will never forget.

She said. "If you were weak only in your left leg, I would look at your hip for the answer. If you were weak in your left arm, I would look at your shoulder. But you are weak on your whole left side, so I look here." At this point she tapped on my head, which immediately caused all the blood to drain right out of it. Then she ordered an MRI so they could look at my brain and made an appointment for 2 months later with a neurologist to analyze the MRI results. Yup, I said 2 months--I guess brain exams and neurologists are pretty popular since it takes so long to see one. Good thing it isn't anything serious like, oh, say, a brain tumor!

So....I waited....and waited... and worried...and partied with friends who assured me that I probably did not have a brain tumor and finally saw the neuro!

He popped the MRI scans up to look at (like an xray)...told me to walk up and down a hall while he watched (remember, I only limped while drunk so this was a big waste of time)... and then...2 months and some $3000 later... he said: "I don't know, come back if it gets worse."

I was genuinely pissed off (sorry about the language--but the moment called for it). He didn't know??!! What was the point of all these appointments, money, and anxiety? To be told "I don't know, try again later." ?

I said--ok--that's the last time I listen to someone tell me to go to the doctor. That's it! I quit! Who cares about a little limp! Forget it.

And I did...for 5 more years.

2 comments:

  1. Meredy,

    Great writing. Eerily familiar story. If you keep writing I will definitely keep reading. I'm a person who covers my ears when previews for my favorite TV show come on the screen. But even though I think I know where this story goes, I'm captivated.

    Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mitch, I'm having fun! I thought of an interesting side note to this story... on the actual paperwork from the technician who did the MRI, a tiny handwritten note appeared--"ms?". I saw it but never mentioned it to either the neuro or anyone else. At that point, being annoyed and not knowing seemed preferable.

    ReplyDelete