Friday, September 11, 2009

#1 On the beach in the 90s-"we've got time"

The thing about MS--at least for me--is that it is so slow and subtle (not like 9/11 at all) that I didn't really notice how fast it was changing my life. That is one of the main reasons I am writing this blog. It seems like a lifetime ago that I was on my beach bike riding furiously down New Smyrna Beach with friends in an attempt to beat the thunderstorm and lightening boltsclosing in behind us. This was a regular weekend afternoon activity because we always stayed for "just one more cold brew" at the beachfront bar before heading down the beach to the condo for an afternoon snooze--"the black clouds aren't coming THAT fast--we've got plenty of time"

Or do we? It wasn't really that long ago...it was the '90s...and it is only 2009--just one decade. Well to be fair, a decade and a half.

It was sitting in the hot sun on the patio at Tony & Joes beach bar that I first noticed that one leg felt a bit weaker than the other. Not a lot. But I remember asking a friend to test it by pushing on my shin--first one leg, then the other. He agreed. My left leg--and I'm left handed--was weaker. Hmmmm, I thought, that's weird... and then went back to my beer. I had better things to think about.

4 comments:

  1. Thats IT, thats all...I want more...you left me hanging. I only saw 3 paragraphs, is there more to come?

    Michael Dullrock

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael--that's the nature of a blog (I think) --you wait for the muse to strike and move on through the story...of course there will be more...soon I am sure. Thanks for following

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your posts so far. I just turned 50 and have been having MS-type symtoms for eight years. Drs. can not figure out what is wrong with me. They've ruled out most things, but while they say that my clinical symptoms look like MS, my lab results don't show anything. Hmmm. So I relate to your diagnosis story somewhat. I'm sorry that you had to have this at all, let alone PPMS, but you sound like you are doing okay, and I love the Segway (sp?)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading Lisa--keep searching but don't let it consume you in the meantime. An answer will present itself eventually and like they say--"what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger" and I know lots of strong people with ms.

    ReplyDelete